Sunday, October 25, 2009

Flat paint


One of the nice things about buying a new house is starting with a clean slate. I've had a bunch of people ask how I did the wall in my living room. I didn't want to say because for a little while, people thought I was brilliant. Now you will all know the truth. It's not brilliance. It's just spray paint. Which is, in fact, the worlds best invention since walkman and tab. I heart spray paint.

I started with a FLAT blue paint on the wall. Then I got a stencil from Michaels. It was only about 8"x12". If there was one thing I could do differently, I would not be so cheap and buy a bigger stencil from a place like mystencils.com. Learn from my mistake. Next, I got a HIGH GLOSS lacquer spray paint and just sprayed over the stencil. The one I used was from Walmart in the craft section but any high gloss CLEAR paint will work. I thought about doing a frosty lacquer but changed my mind. If anyone does it with frost, e-mail us so I can see the end result.

I know, so easy a caveman could do it.

p.s. the clock above the mantle..... this is what it used to look like. Black and white paint and my favorite stain later and voila.

3 comments:

  1. You have never had a Tab in your life. They stopped making it before you even knew what soda was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the clock. You guys are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's darn clever! Spray paint and using it for stencils-much smoother look achieved-I hate stenciling-never turns out right. I have to wonder if anyone has used flocking spray to replicate 60s wallpaper? Probably not...it wasn't a good look then!

    Props, Lady.

    ReplyDelete