Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My union jack rug

I debated about how I was going to do my rug for a while. Should I buy a nice plain rug from ikea and paint it? Should I try and find it used and get it for cheaper than the site? Should I just man up and buy it new from Z Gallerie?

So instead I decided to go to Home Depot and practice my painting skills on something a little cheaper than a rug from ikea. A $10 drop cloth. I've seen people painting drop cloths all over blog land. I even painted a pillow myself a while back here. But I never got up the nerve to do an entire rug.

The day finally came and I actually really love it. So much, in fact, that I don't think I'm going to do it on a rug, I'll just use this drop cloth.

I used the lines that were already in the cloth from the folds to guide me. It was a really easy project and it'll be even easier for you if you learn from my mistakes which are...

1. Don't use a paint brush to paint it on. A roller covered it 10 times faster but I didn't realize this until I was half way done.

2. Makes sure your tape is on really good or it will bleed through the tape lines.

3. It WILL go through the fabric. I have a beautiful new union jack flag painted on my garage floor courtesy of my stupidity.

I wanted the paint colors to be similar but still contrasting. I got a paint sample called porpoise and used the driftwood gray color from my bedroom.

It took about a day to dry all the way. I'll let you know how it holds up to crayons, crackers, and cooties.


  1. Great job! Maybe I'll ge thte courage to do something like this soon... thanks for the inspiration!

  2. Looks great! What an awesome alternative to spending a ton on a new rug!

  3. It turned out GREAT! I can not wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing!
    Debbie Barker

  4. I only see two colors on there.

  5. This is awesome!! I've been wanting to try the drop-cloth-into-a-rug. Yours turned out really nice! Love the union jack; very cool. A mutual friend of ours, Sherrie, told me about your blog- I love it! I'm adding you to my reading list! :)