Saturday, March 12, 2011

Jones Design Company copied pillow tutorial

I've been following a blog, Jones Design Company pretty religiously for a while now. She did this amazing painted wallpaper tutorial a while back and I'd been wanting to try it. I want to paint it onto a thick drop cloth and use it as a rug. But to test my theory first, I tried it for a pillow. I'm VERY happy with the results and can't thank Emily enough for doing the hard part for me.

Here's a run down of how I did my project. First off, go here and at the end of the posting Emily has a free template you can download. I shrunk it to the size I thought would look good on the pillow and cut it out. Then I stenciled it onto the fabric just like she did on her wall. After that I mixed textile medium and white paint and started painting it on. Just follow the directions on the bottle. It's 2:1 but I don't remember which part is the 2.


It went on relatively easy. I didn't even have to do two coats.


One Jackie Chan movie and 2 episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba later and I had finished.

Then I washed the fabric and put them facing each other and sewed along the outside leaving a small gap (but big enough to stick the pillow back through).


Flip it right side in and pin the edge not sewn.


Sew the edge and you're all finished!



6 comments:

  1. Okay I could so do it on fabric, I just have zero motivation to do it on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did women share home-making ideas before Al Gore invented the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE! Is it crackly? Or did it dry nicely? I've been wanting to paint fabric with a saying, but not sure how it will turn out. Any pointers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is fantastic. i just found your blog from better after... and it's nap time so i'm pouring over it. i also saw the template somewhere recently and have been wondering if this would work for curtains? and i want to try it on a cheap ikea rug... but they won't be in the same room ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, LOVE this! I will be using this idea to make pillows for our living room. Thanks so much for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is fantastic! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete