Monday, September 20, 2010

5 projects in 5 days...

My husband is getting home from a year deployment at the end of this week. The question most commonly asked is "How did you get through it without going crazy". Well... the truth is... I didn't. I am crazy. But that's not because the deployment. But I made the time pass more quickly by doing tons of projects around the house.

We bought a brand new house a couple weeks before he left. With white walls everywhere I looked, I almost had to surgically remove a paintbrush from my hand after the first couple months. Then it was on to the furniture. I arranged, rearranged, and arranged again. It keeps my stuff from getting old. I guess boring's a better word than old since most my stuff is, in fact, very old. To quote my husband "If it can't give our kids lock jaw or lead poisoning, you won't like it."

Since he's coming home at the end of the week I spent half the night panicking about everything I had wanted to get done but haven't yet. I figured if I wrote it on the blog, it would motivate me to actually finish my list. So I'm doing 5 projects in 5 days. On the 6th day is a massive deep cleaning since my windows and baseboards haven't been cleaned... ever.... and the 7th day is Sunday. The day of rest. So that worked out.

My first project is one I finished at the end of last week but took FOREVER. I purchased a beautiful orange crushed velvet headboard on craigslist because I loved the shape. I used the extra fabric from my kitchen chair's project and went to town. I also covered 37, yes that's right, 37 buttons. And then my fingers went on strike. I don't have a before picture unfortunately but I'm sure you can imagine it. Here's the after shots.




Tomorrow I'll be attempting to make a night stand out of these pieces of molding and a table base.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I'm hoping to use that fabric for curtains in my kitchen soon....waiting for a sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job! I am so happy for you that your hubby is coming home. Good luck finishing everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m so happy your husband is coming home. Mine is getting ready to deploy. So like you, I will be doing projects around the house. Love what you did with the headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable headboard! You are really talented, and should be making these all the time. Good luck with your reunion. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki and peas - Love your blog! I have spent way to much time here this morning. I have things to do but you have inspired me to yet more projects. I am a craigslist junkie and I have made myself abstain from shopping there so I can finish projects I have already collected. I have finally completed enough that you can actually walk through my craft room. Anyway wanted to say thank you for the inspiration and to say a big THANK YOU to you and your family for your sacrifice for our country. I can't imagine my husband being gone for any length of time. Enjoy your time together.

    ReplyDelete