Monday, January 10, 2011

New boys room

I wanted to put two beds in Porters room since baby #4 came a little sooner than we would have liked. The beds needed to be low to the ground since 20 month olds roll around in their sleep like they're on fire and I didn't want him breaking his neck falling out of bed. This was what Porters room used to look like.

Now it looks like this. I took out the vintage lockers because this room is only 10'x10' but they're safely tucked away in my garage until we move into a bigger house.

The beds are matching antique hospital beds that my sister gave me. With the casters off they're low enough that little kids won't get hurt from falling off. I have another one for my last, kid #4. In my some day dream house, all 3 boys will share a room with matching beds. I still have to get two duvet inserts from Ikea for the solid blue duvets on the bed. That's why they're all wrinkly.

Sorry the pictures are kind of dark. I bought a giant red letter "P" from an old store sign when I was in Canton and then found another one just like it at this great store called Modern Manor in Phoenix. It's kind of hard to find and has weird hours but their stuff is really cool. Anyways, I came home only to find my children had broken the one I had. So I'm on the hunt for another one. Again. I want to put them right above their headboards.

I moved the dresser to this corner and kept the locker baskets on top to store books and toys and junk. They don't have very much room to play but we live in Arizona so they're in my back yard most of the day anyways.

I made the duvet's at the foot of their bed. I saw some on Restoration Hardware that I LOVED but couldn't spend $750 for 2. So I went to Joann's and bought fabric that was $3.99 a yard and used my 50% off coupon. Making it around $27 for 14 yards. It was enough to do two twin sized duvets and pillows but I ran out of paint for the pillows so they'll be finished soon. I used craft paint and fabric medium for the stripes and just taped them off with painters tape. I did the same thing to a bench in my room that you can find here This is what Restoration Hardware's looked like.

I wish I could have used linen like they did but it was not in my budget. My fabric looks more yellow in the pictures than it actually is in person but when you have a $100 camera... One more look at my version.


Linking up to

10 comments:

  1. Adorable. I love it all. You did an incredible job on the duvets. They look the the RH versions to me and a lot cheaper. How did you keep those long lines straight if I might ask??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way your boys room looks!! So many wonderful vintage touches. It even has a bit of a European look, but still looks like a kids room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That is awesome! Maybe you can come help me decorate when we get our house, if you have any free time of course! You're amazing! The bedding looks almost identical to the Restoration Hardware version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your son's room and the hospital beds how unique....what color have you used on the walls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super terrific! Love it, and gives me hope that I can do a couple boys rooms myself with class. LOVE those duvets you made. So glad you could Mi4M!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the nicest boy rooms I have ever seen. It looks amazing! It looks vintage yet masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! When my 2nd boy (who will be born in March) is out of his crib, I want to do two twin beds, too. Obviously, I've got a couple years for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoW what a job you did with that fabric paint medium---wonderful looking!!!!!!!!do they have it in craft stores? Where did you buy it?????--although I have never heard of it--I think I need a gallon already. Sherron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Nikki - I know you're probably very busy, but would you mind sharing what type of fabric you used to make the duvet? I've been having a difficult time finding a soft fabric that doesn't look cheap and love what you've used here. Thank you so much!! Krysta

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is FANTASTIC!!! love the room and love your duvet covers! how creative!

    ReplyDelete