Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My union jack rug

I debated about how I was going to do my rug for a while. Should I buy a nice plain rug from ikea and paint it? Should I try and find it used and get it for cheaper than the site? Should I just man up and buy it new from Z Gallerie?

So instead I decided to go to Home Depot and practice my painting skills on something a little cheaper than a rug from ikea. A $10 drop cloth. I've seen people painting drop cloths all over blog land. I even painted a pillow myself a while back here. But I never got up the nerve to do an entire rug.

The day finally came and I actually really love it. So much, in fact, that I don't think I'm going to do it on a rug, I'll just use this drop cloth.


I used the lines that were already in the cloth from the folds to guide me. It was a really easy project and it'll be even easier for you if you learn from my mistakes which are...

1. Don't use a paint brush to paint it on. A roller covered it 10 times faster but I didn't realize this until I was half way done.

2. Makes sure your tape is on really good or it will bleed through the tape lines.

3. It WILL go through the fabric. I have a beautiful new union jack flag painted on my garage floor courtesy of my stupidity.


I wanted the paint colors to be similar but still contrasting. I got a paint sample called porpoise and used the driftwood gray color from my bedroom.


It took about a day to dry all the way. I'll let you know how it holds up to crayons, crackers, and cooties.

6 comments:

  1. Great job! Maybe I'll ge thte courage to do something like this soon... thanks for the inspiration!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! What an awesome alternative to spending a ton on a new rug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out GREAT! I can not wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing!
    Debbie Barker
    http://johnanddebinlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome!! I've been wanting to try the drop-cloth-into-a-rug. Yours turned out really nice! Love the union jack; very cool. A mutual friend of ours, Sherrie, told me about your blog- I love it! I'm adding you to my reading list! :)
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete